What you about?

About Lottie + Doof

When I started Lottie + Doof, back in 2008, I had no idea it would be come such an important part of my life.

I started blogging as an outlet for what had become an increasingly serious obsession with cooking, hosting, and the politics of food. My interest in these topics expanded during my two years at Northwestern University where I was pursuing an MFA in Art Theory and Practice. I started thinking about the role the domestic space plays in politics and the formation of opinion (the domestic space as a potentially radical or dangerous space?) as well as the role gender plays in the preparation of food. I realized that I like a good dinner party better than I like art or politics (if they can be differentiated) and after graduating I began sharing what I was making in my kitchen here, with you. The rest, as they say, is history.

I now happily identify as a food writer, recipe developer, and occasional photographer. I have contributed to:

Bon Appetit, ReadyMade Magazine (RIP!), Time Out Chicago, Saveur, The Chicago Sun-Times, Design*Sponge, Real Simple, Remedy Quarterly, Communal Table, and The Kitchn.

I also have been lucky enough to host a series of dinners at Chicago’s favorite bakery, Floriole.

Our wedding – photo by Liz Sisson

I was born and raised in Chicago. I live on the west side (Oak Park!) with my partner, Bryan. I have a bunch of friends who share my interest in all things domestic and they pop up on this site from time to time. I also like to highlight sources of good food in Chicago and some of my other favorite cities.

What you see today is a site that is still evolving, we’ll see where we end up.

Contact me: tim [at] lottieanddoof [dot] com

Lottie + Doof has been featured in: Bon Appetit, Saveur, Smithsonian, Real Simple, TimeOut Chicago, Paste Magazine, Design*Sponge, ReadyMade, Daily Candy, The Kitchn, Refinery29, Gapers Block, New City, The Chicago Sun Times, Grub Street Chicago, Gourmet Live, Chicago Magazine, and Fine Cooking.

IMG_1896

lonnytim

FAQ’s

Why is your blog called Lottie + Doof?

Read this.

Where should I eat in Chicago?

Read this.

What kind of camera do you use?

I get a lot of questions about what kind of camera I use. I’m glad to hear that people like the photos, but I promise it is not because of my camera— it is the lighting and composition. You can take great photos with any camera. Nothing is more important than lighting, lots of natural (or natural-like) lighting. Some basic Photoshop skills are good, too. In the early years I used an inexpensive point and shoot camera for all of the photos. I now have graduated to a Canon digital SLR for the food photography and the Canon G12 when I need to snap a quick photo.

Are these your recipes?

Some of the recipes on Lottie + Doof are originals, most are adapted from recipes by more talented bakers and cooks. The creator of the recipe is clearly identified in each post.

Are you a trained cook/baker?

If you call watching a lot of PBS cooking shows when I was growing up training, then yes. My background is in art but baking is something I have always loved. I’ve taken a class here and there, but most of what I know I learned alone in my kitchen. I also read a lot about food and cooking and am pretty good at following directions. My cookbook collection can no longer be contained in my kitchen and is spreading to all parts of my apartment.

Can I use one of your photos on my site?

Maybe. The site content is protected by copyright, so please ask for permission before using any of my photos or posts.

Who designed the site?

My partner, Bryan, built and maintains the site. He is the best.

What about comments?

This blog is one of my favorite places to spend time and I love the community of people who comment and share recipe ideas. 99% of the comments submitted are encouraging, constructive, funny or educational. I love them. The other 1% are aggressive, rude, off-topic or self-promotional and they don’t get published. I want to keep this a good-spirited place to spend time.

Where can I learn more about you?

Well, since you insisted. Here are some links to interviews with me at various sites around the web: Saveur, A Collection Of, A Dinner Party, Dramatic Pancake

Lottie + Doof crest designed by the
very talented Julia Rothman!